Weed pens, such as vape pens or cannabis oil vape pens, to consume cannabis and CBD. As legalization spreads, the market has exploded with different types of weed pens in all shapes and sizes. With so many options, it gets confusing trying to understand how weed pens work and which one is right for you.
How do weed pens work?
weed pen are small, portable vaporizers designed just for cannabis concentrates and oils. They consist of a battery, atomizer, chamber, and mouthpiece. The battery powers the heating element, known as the atomizer. The atomizer heats the chamber, which is filled with cannabis extract or oil. As the material heats, it transforms from liquid to vapor which you inhale through the mouthpiece.
Weed pens heat the material at lower temperatures than traditional combustion, so they release vapor rather than smoke. This vaporization process eliminates burned plant material and releases active compounds in a purer, cleaner form. Vaping is a more health-conscious way to consume cannabis because it avoids the toxins and tar created by smoking.
Convection vape pens heat the chamber indirectly by warmed air flowing through it. A convection style evenly heats the material from all sides, maintaining consistent temperature control. Using this method provides excellent flavor and fuller vapor production. However, convection vape pens have more complex designs and are pricier.
Main cartridge types
The cartridge or pod is filled with the cannabis extract and attached to the battery.
Distillate oil goes through an extraction process that removes fats, lipids, and other compounds, leaving behind pure THC or CBD. Distillate carts have high THC/CBD concentrations but lack the full entourage of compounds that create the strain flavors and effects.
Live resin cartridges
Live resin is made by flash-freezing freshly harvested cannabis plants and extracting the aromatic terpenes and cannabinoids. It retains more of the plant’s natural profile. Live resin carts offer great flavor and provide a more complete high. However, they tend to be pricier than distillate.
Full spectrum cartridges
Full spectrum or whole plant extracts aim to preserve all the valuable cannabis compounds, including minor cannabinoids and terpenes. It creates an “entourage effect” for full-bodied effects. Carts with cannabis-derived terpenes added back in also offer full flavor profiles.
Features to consider
Several features allow you to customize your vaping experience. Here are some factors to keep in mind when selecting a weed pen.
- Battery life – Longer battery life means less frequent charging. Look for weed pens with at least 4-hour battery life. Some have up to 10+ hours per charge.
- Variable temperature – Models with precision temperature control allow you to find the ideal heating range for rich vapor and flavor.
- Dose control – Some weed pens have controlled dose delivery, like 2.5mg or 5mg per puff. It helps you meter intake.
- Pod Compatibility – Check if the pen works only with designed pods or with multiple cartridge types. Wider compatibility provides more options.
- Rechargeable vs disposable – Rechargeable weed pens are economical and earth-friendly. Disposables offer convenience but add waste.
- App integration – Top weed pens pair with apps to change temperatures and dosing, lock the device, and display battery level.